Over the course of this passed week I managed to work out twice, and while doing so I was on the treadmill for 1 hour. I usually start at about 7:30 pm, after I have finished homework and dinner. this week I listened to several movie review Podcast, one of which inspired me to see Aqua Man in theaters (which I regret, save your money.)  I can not say if I actually go any faster when listening to podcast and thus burn more calories, but I have decided that I will be continuing to do this after the project ends. I find it fun to look forward to something that does not included watching a screen, plus I will get more exercise which is always a plus. 
         In the article Here How America Uses its Land(1). I learned that 1/3 of the USA is used for farmland. most of that farmland is used to grow corn, which is used for diesel. I also learned that most of the produce we eat comes from other countries.
        The article(2) on forming new habits taught me that it always takes longer to form habits than than is ideal. The main take away if you want what to form a new habit is to repeat the action for at least 6 months, If that doesn't work, then keep doing it. I still think it would be fairly simple for me to change my habit. working out on the treadmill is something I have been doing since 8th grade. all I'm changing is what is entertaining me at the time.
         in middle school I tried to take a fish oil pill each morning and dinner. I would often forget in the morning and end up taking two at night. About two years latter I gave up on taking fish oil pills all together. I hope that I will be able to be more vehement about this new plan. This article made me more likely to pursue my plan, because apparently it only takes 21 days.
If every body in the world who watched TV while working out made the same switch that I did, we would see a huge impact on the amount of power we use. Exuding heating and cooling, TVs use the most power in your home out of any appliance. So by trying it off for the time your work out, power will be saved.


Citations:
1. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-us-land-use/?fbclid=IwAR2sY87CdO9iLhiKCbkFJcRVrcOYOWHM8mW_AGex1V7nMpnbeioQw1ieUD8 
2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BKF8f_-HXrLnVvWLN72AAbwHM5eTivL0AqfLE1xsx68/edit 

Comments

  1. I understand why not watching T.V. would be a good way to decrease your carbon footprint, but don't you think that there are other alternatives that are more impactful and have less impact on our daily lives. Like maybe commuting differently. Or turning off our smartphones when not in use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that your goal is to reduce the amount of power used when you watch TV while you work out. But, treadmills also use power (maybe not a lot depending on the treadmill you have) to function so why not run outside instead and save even more power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's great that you've given up watching TV, but could you reduce your impact even further by choosing to run instead? It could be refreshing too since it's nice and cold out too!

      Delete
  3. Viewing and reading over your blog post has encouraged me to write more and add more resources to compare to as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running on a treadmill does make life easier, with not having to run in bad weather, but they do use a lot of energy. Have you tried just running outside?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Calculating how much Power I am saving